10th Grade Projects
For the beginning of the second year of engineering, Engineering Concepts, we needed to build a few chairs for the classroom. So during the first week of school we planned a design for a small stool. After my group and I made our designs we needed to decide who´s design to use. After a bit of thought we decided to use my stool design. The next step was to modify my stool design to make it easier to build. after that and a little bit of math to make sure the angle of the legs was reasonable we began the construction of the stool. It took us a few days to gather materials and cut the wood but the construction only two days, including all the times we goofed off instead of doing the project. In my original sketch I had the supports going from leg to leg, but after talking with the group we decided it would be easier to make the supports go in between the legs like shown in the picture below. After a bit of sanding and some sitting it was done and In the end it is a sturdy and nice looking stool. What is even better is that we all took turn sitting on it and none of us made the chair break. The only thing that would make this chair better is a back and a small cushion.
9th Grade Projects
For the past few weeks my class as separated into ten groups of three. Each group gets a bottle of carpenters glue and two hundred Popsicle sticks. With these materials we had to build a bridge that can hold at least twenty pounds. My group built a simple truss bridge. Surprisingly our bridge was the first to hold 210 pounds without breaking. If I could make this bridge better, I would have multiple layers of popsicle sticks in between all the trusses. Since we used all two hundred popsicle sticks I would take the popsicle sticks from the road because the road was just an aesthetic we added.
The Face Tile
For the past few weeks in ceramics class we have been working on face tiles. The design I chose is a modded dragon priest mask from Skyrim. Surprisingly it turned out pretty well. It's not exactly like the picture but it's pretty close.
For the past two weeks I have been working on making a 3DS case in Onshape. In this project we could ether make a phone case or a toy car in Onshape. After that we would ether 3D print the phone case or make the car out of wood. My idea is to make a slide on 3DS case and on the bottom piece have a stand for it. I am still trying to find a purpose for the stand. It was a place holder because we have to add some sort of extra feature to the case. I was also planning to add handles under the case, but desisted not to because it was a little out of my skill range. The Pictur on the left is of the bottom part of the case. The picture on the right is the top part of the case. I have not made the kick stand for the bottom part of the case, but it will be made soon.
The Obstacle Course
For the past few week I have been working with a small robot called sphero. This robot is a small water resistant ball. For about two weeks we messed around with the block and text program in lightning lab( the program that runs the sphero). After that we began the construction of the beautiful obstacle course below this. For another two weeks we wrote a program to navigate the course. When competition day came around we were not ready. me and my group still needed to test one section of the course and we need to fix another section's program. So we didn't do very well. It took us 176 seconds to get through the entire course. The reason it took so long was because my program for part five didn't work and my other group member's part six didn't work.
For our final project in engineering we had to make some sort of contraption. My group and I decided to make a earth quake siren. For two weeks we worked on designing the siren. after that we made our prototype witch was the siren but at 60% the original size. Using a RC car motor we tested the siren. It worked pretty well but it still needed some sanding before it truly worked. After a day of sanding it worked perfectly. So we decided to step it up a notch. We printed out the siren at full size, used a bigger motor, and a 12 volt battery. Now it is perfect, It makes a deep roar when spinning to full speed. Its not super loud, but it works. Pictures will be up soon.